Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Coincidence, serendipity, magic?

It was Tuesday Jan 10th. I was expecting a package which contained a component for a project I am working on with students (www.xentinels.com). On Monday I had missed the delivery and so I signed the release slip so that it could be left.

I came home early from professing that day because I had to teach again online at 7PM. It would be the first session of the new semester. When I got home I found yet another slip for failed delivery. Even though I signed the release and my roommate Dee was home, I didn't get the package. Aparently she had been sleeping and didnt hear the bell, and the package required and in person signature. The slip said I could pick it up the package after 5PM.

I spent a little time relaxing and enjoyed a wonderful talk with my friend Luz (goluzgo.com). I was quite tired and took a nap. I awoke late (5:30) and had to decide if I would be able to make it to the fedex office and back in time to teach my 7PM class. I looked at google maps to see. It looked like a straight shot but I was not familiar with the traffic conditions.

I decided to give it a shot. It was a good excuse to hop my motorcycle and go for a ride. I only just learned to ride in August and I enjoy riding a great deal. Not to mention we were blessed with warm weather in January. I also figured even if there was traffic, on the motorcycle I could get past some of it. I left at 5:50. My gas indicator was on but I didnt have time to get gas if I was going to make it. I went as far as I could in 30 min and got lost. I was supposed to be on Kings Highway and wound up on Howard Avenue.

I turned back and made it home just 10 min before class at 7 (The lights favored me on the return). When I tried to log on to teach my session I was unable to. It was a problem I had normally when I cleared my browser's history and cache. I called the college help desk to tell them to tell the class I would be 15 min late.

After reinstalling online client software and rebooting I finally got into the class and found that not one of the students were there. Either all of my students forgot to come, or ...

Just then I got a phone call. It was the helpdesk. I answered and said, "I know I know, I actually dont have class scheduled today." I paused and then joked,"Lets keep this between us ok."

So, it is 7:20 and I have to figure can I make it to the fedex place by 8. This time I take my GPS and I am on the road at 730. By 740 I realize there is too much traffic on Kings highway and i decide to try the Belt Parkway. It was a longer way, but if traffic was flowing I would have a chance.

As it turned out the belt was smooth sailing. Just a block or so from the Fedex office I felt the bike sputter from the low gas. I get to the fedex office with about 4 minutes to spare. Parking is a non issue as usual with the bike. I am parked right in front of the entrance. There are a couple of other customers still inside and I am the last one to get in.

As I leave I get the directions to the closest gas station and the Belt Parkway. Even though the GPS would get me home, it is nice to be pointing in the right direction to start.

As I get back on the bike I see a woman getting out of her car to send off a package. I tell her the place just closed. I tell her though that there are people inside that have to come out. If she waits and puts on a sad face they might let her in (remembering that a similar tactic worked for me at Modells New Years Eve when I needed some gloves and a hat for the Midnight run)

When I got to the gas station there were a number of pumps free. I went for the one in the far corner in the back. I filled the bike to the max. I got 5.002 gallons in the 5 gallon tank. Apparently I was pretty low.

That was when I met Irwin. Irwin was a young black man, in his mid to late 20's. He asked me curiously, "Can I ask you something, how long did it take you to learn how to ride?

I told him, "Two days."

He looked surprised. " Really? I tried learning and I just didn't get it. My friend has been trying to teach me. He races professionally."

And then I told him all about the Motorcycle Safety School where I had learned. I told him that there was no better way to learn. I took the course in August. It was only one night and 2 days. And yet it had a profound impact on me not only in terms of learning to ride a motorcycle but in terms of learning to ride life. Often times the words that my instructor shared on how to handle the bike was like a sermon to me. The subject for another time I suppose.

I expressed how important I felt taking the course was. I left. While I felt that our chance meeting was "supposed" to happen, I wasnt sure I conveyed what needed to be conveyed. I decided to turn back to the gas station (he went to pay inside so was still there). I gave him my email address and told him to send me an email if he has any questions.

So, let's see, what is interesting here?

Let's entertain the notion that there is no coincidence and my chance discussion with Irwin was supposed to happen. Lets look at all that had to happen for the universe to conspire this to happen.

- missed getting package on Monday

- Package could not be left only directly signed

- roommate while home, did not hear the delivery

- Getting the day of the class I teach incorrect.

- Napping a bit too long.

- The traffic conditions. Every light, every car, every bus.

- Getting lost the first time and doubling back.

- Being out of gas.

-The pump I chose.


Something else to consider. Irwin. The name itself means "Friend of the boar." Which is interesting if you consider that a boar is similar to a hog. And a hog is another name for a Harley. Perhaps Irwin was not getting it on a sports bike and needed a cruiser type instead.


No comments: